Sunday, April 4, 2010

Everyone has a Story to Tell

This is true. Everyone, of every age has a story to tell. When I went to school we would put our writing down on paper. It would take hours to write a story, edit the story, write a good copy and then illustrate the story - usually with only one spot for a picture.

Welcome to the world of technology! Today's writers have access to computers, the internet, digital pictures, technology to edit and incorporate their own art work. Best of all it can be completed in half the time it took us to put it all together - often with a more professional look to it.

I was recently introduced to creating digital storybooks. What an amazing idea! One of the first things we have learnt in becoming positive and successful Learning Managers is to engage in student-centered learning. I believe digital storybooks have the works.

There are many students today who are not interested in writing or just don't enjoy the long process of putting it all together. But..... put many of them in front of a computer or another form of technology and they are in a world of their own.

Digital story telling is about using computer based tools to tell stories. They are suitable for any age and students in prep right up to adults will love the idea that they can add words to pictures already on the computer (so if they feel they are not good artists they can use what is available to them via the internet - no need to ever pick up a paint brush or pencil). Your imagination is the only limitation to digital story telling - photos, art work, cartoons, videos,graphics and any multimedia tool you can think of.

As Kearsley and Shneiderman (1998)have indicated in their engagement theory
The fundamental idea underlying engagement theory is that students must be meaningfully engaged in learning activities through interaction with others and worthwhile tasks. While in principle, such engagement could occur without the use of technology, we believe that technology can facilitate engagement in ways which are difficult to achieve otherwise. So engagement theory is intended to be a conceptual framework for technology-based learning and teaching.

Engaging students within digital media has the potential to excite students in a way that writing stories has never done before.
I fully intend on using digital story writing many times within my career as a Learning Manager and I know that over time I will become more proficient at using the many technologies out there. At the moment I have only personally tried one tool and have found Storybird extremely easy to use and I can make a professional story within a short period of time. I created a short book that you read here.

My Imagination on Storybird

I see that access to digital storybooks can also be used as a fast finishes activity. The book I wrote above took all of 10 - 15 minutes to write. Students who are keen and active learners may be excited at the chance of putting their thoughts on paper for an outcome they can view and share with others.

Technology should not be viewed as a medium that is always fast paced. Reading is a way of slowing ourselves down, relaxing and enjoying life. There is no reason that a digital book can not provide the same results as a book off the shelf.

NSW Country Areas Program activity use digital storybooks as a tool in education. They have many links to support this technology and also a variety of samples written by both students and teachers. Enjoy.

References:
Kearsley, G. & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved 4th April 2010 from: http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sally, I had a look at the book you created, well done, looks great, I do think it would be great for 7-8 year olds as I know my son would really like it. What an excellent way of encouraging students to write! You did a great job and I can't wait to have a go too. I haven't signed up yet, I wonder if you can use your own artwork for the illustrations. Regards, Carolyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyne for the comments. You are correct in that it is an excellent way of encouraging students to write. My 7 year old daughter has created 2 of her own over these holidays and I have also seen it used within a year 7 classroom. The first time I saw it being used was as a fast finishers activity. During a technology lesson one student had completed what the requirements were and she was given access to the teachers account. As the class had been doing a topic on Australian Icons she created a book that went with the topic. I can see great potential as a fast finishers activity - the book I wrote only took me 10 - 15 minutes to make, and as a focused English lesson on specific genres, themes or team work activities. Although there is no audio with these books I think it is important for students to appreciate books as a relaxation medium. Books and stories are also for enjoyment and sometimes we forget about allowing students, and ourselves, time to just enjoy literature for the calm environment it can create.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, I have really enjoyed following your post. Thank you for all you bring to our learning journing and I must say, I really love this Storybird electronic creative writing tool. As soon as I read your post, I was excited as I could see this as a potential extension component for high schools students, or as an assessment tool.

    I also immediately related to my son who finds it difficult to write descriptively. Eight to ten words in a sentence really challenges him, although he has great organisation of ideas and comes up with some really interesting topics. This is a beautiful way to encourage him into being more confident to explore and express the wonderful imagination he has.

    On a personal and professional level, thank you for introducing me to this wonderful electronic tool which encapsulates the very concpets of student-centred learning, as you have mentioned in your post. I look forward to introducing my children and my secondary school learners to it through my application of good pedagogical practice.

    Cheers
    Kylie B

    ReplyDelete