Monday, April 5, 2010

WOW!

You want to engage kids? You want to have them interested in presentation work? You want students to feel proud of their work that they can embed it into other forms of technology? Come and Glog it! I've just been reading about Glogster and I have created my own presentation page.



What a fun way to get students to be involved in how they show off their knowledge. I see huge potential for this technology and it is so easy to use. As a Learning Manager you can connect to the Glogster EDU and have your whole class connected at the same time and you can view and oversee what they are doing. Amazingly this is a free service and very user friendly. Students will be able to do pages on any topic you wish - this will form part of the demonstration of knowledge and skills. You will be able to find many links when you go onto the Glogster home page but this link is a review of using it in the classrom.

I had so much fun putting it together that I can see real potential for students to be completely engaged and continue to produce pages at home. It has many benefits to getting the students involved and has the advantage of keeping them private for yourself or public for the world to see.

Incorporating Glogs into your learning plans has the potential to engage students who otherwise are not interested in 'school work'. I believe that many students are more interested in the topic if it has benefit to either themselves or others around them. Glogs can be made very personal or can be generic - depending on the activity you are currently involved in. My initial thoughts on where I would use one would be an initial beginning of year introduction to technology where the students will be encouraged to create a page about themselves to share with the class. I think this would be a wonderful way to 'get to know' the students and for them to get to know each other. They could work in pairs or individuals - supporting each other through the process.

I want to look more into this technology but at the moment I am very impressed by the ease of use, the creative components and the multitude uses it allows. Students are going to love it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally,
    I've seen the word glog recently and I have had no idea what it was (too lazy to google it I suppose). Thanks for putting up something on your blog as now I have a little insight into yet another world on the internet. I've had a quick look and it does look like it could be a lot of fun for everyone. I've marked it for future reference!!
    Regards,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete