Sunday, April 11, 2010

Why Blog?

When I first heard we needed to implement our own blog for this course I thought it was another technology I was being taught (and made to use) that I saw no real reason for - as I had no intention of ever using one with primary school students. Initially my thoughts were you can't use a blog with students because the whole world will see what they are writing about and how on earth would I use them within the school curriculum anyway?

My eyes have certainly been opened. My ideas and thoughts were very naive - basically because I really had no understanding of what a blog was. Just through using one myself for this course I can see the real benefits of allowing students access to a blog (not necessarily a public one) and providing them time to reflect on their learning - I like this the most - what a great way for them to engage in higher order thinking.

They can also allow feedback from other students, allowing different points of views about a specific topic. Students can take time in thinking about material they have read and interacted with throughout the day or week and provide a platform for them to share their thoughts and ideas with others.

Reflection is something I didn't do alot - if any of - during primary or secondary school and I now see huge benefits to life long learning when given the chance to do this. I wish I had a platform to share my views with others during this vital time of learning!

I can now see that the use of a Blog can actually cover all 5 dimensions within the Dimensions of Learning (Marzano and Pickering , 1997). Blogging can be such a powerful tool for students to interact with it can provide:

Dimension 1: Attitudes and Perceptions
* to feel accepted by teachers and peers
* to experience a sense of comfort and order

Dimension 2: Acquire and Integrate Knowledge
* Through reflection and constructive feedback students can internalize procedural knowledge

Dimension 3: Extend and Refine Knowledge
* By reflection and analysis of learnt material students can refine and extend knowledge

Dimension 4: Use Knowledge Meaningfully
* By reflection and discussions with other students they can develop reasoning processes and receive clarification and higher order thinking for life long learning

Dimension 5: Habits of Mind
* By Critically thinking, thinking creatively and evaluating our thinking students will be able to develop great educational skills that will assist them throughout their lives.


If being able to cover the 5 Dimensions of Learning (Marzano & Pickering, 1997) wasn't enough I believe Blogs can also engage students in learning and encourage them to become involved in areas of the curriculum they wouldn't normally have interest. An example of this is if students don't like to write during English lessons they are more likely to want to write on their blog daily or weekly. Often writing on a blog is not seen as homework but as a communication tool to keep up with friends and share information. Should we be teaching students they need to write for the sake of writing or should we be putting meaning into why they write? A blog can provide the meaning and purpose for them.

When students communicate via a blog with other like minded people they are creating a support network for themselves and therefore creating a Community of Practice. This is vital in ongoing learning for not only knowledge sharing but also for support and encouragement.

I need to remember that we are teaching students in their world - not in the world that I grew up in. I need to extend myself and provide opportunities suitable to them, for them and relevant to them. It is a challenge. It is a task I want to take on with full force and provide the best educational experience I can for the young people of the 21st Century.


Reference:

Marzano & Pickering (1997) Dimensions of Leanring Teacher's Manual 2nd Ed. McRel. Colorado.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally,

    I too didn't realise the effectiveness of a blog until I began using one myself. Although I find it frustrating sometimes, I think this is more a result of the pressure to write when sometimes you just don't feel like it! What I do love though is the opportunity to write creatively, no word limits, no predefined format, just my thoughts, my point of view and my reflections and the freedom to just... well.... write. I bet students would enjoy this freedom too.

    I only recognised a link to some of the Dimensions of Learning, but can see from your post that writing a blog indeed covers all of them.... some serious multi-tasking, thats what we want!

    Cheers,
    Phebe

    ReplyDelete