Saturday, April 10, 2010

How Far We Have Come

I look back at the date of my first blog entry, and realise it was only 1 month ago to the day.

It astounds me to think that in the course of 30 days I can go from never having blogged to now blogging at least twice a week. I have blogged, wiki'd, started a Mahara account, created avatars, written my first book on storybird, surfed you tube, played with Google Earth, downloaded from Promethean Planet, edited photos on picnik and flickr as well as made a poster on Glogster and disected a frog. Out of all the things we have learnt about the only piece of ICT that I had used previously was power point.

I have read so much information about technology, spoken and discussed my thought with people I have never even met face to face and disagreed with various people on a few topics on a Moodle site I had to learn how to navigate and post discussions on. All this could not have been experienced had it not been for the technology that I have been introduced to through the GDLT at the Central Queensland University.

I am more excited than ever to be starting my EPL stage 1 on Wednesday. I have met my Mentor Teacher, my Deputy Principal and my team teaching partner. It is an experience that I am apprehensive about, but I know that it will be the best part of this course - getting in and trying out all the student centred theories we have spent this last 6 weeks cramming for.

I'm trying to stay positive, as I know that the negative thoughts will start to weigh me down after a while. I came into this course wanting to be a teacher and I still am confident that I have made the right choice. Admittedly, sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the full time study load, full time work commitments, coaching and family commitments and teaching commitments at Sunday School - but in the end what is placed in front of us will only make us stronger and more ready for what life can throw at us.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well said Sally and congratulations on the wonderful committment you have given to the course. Your positive attitude and dedication has not gone unnoticed. I have certainly been having my own ups and and downs on this journey, trying to adjust and accommodate different things. I cannot believe how much I have learned and each time I feel overwhelmed, I just focus on this and the end prize - becoming the best teacher that I can be. Thankyou for you sharing such a wonderful post and making me feel great at a moment when I needed it. AS Rickie stated those few short weeks ago - "There is no such thing as bad days in teaching, so get up and GO!". Go Sally and everyone and good luck to you all next week !

    Kylie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally,
    I can't believe we have been blogging for one month!!! Time is going by so fast... We have learnt so many new ICTs in such a short time and reading your post made me think I really do need to stop and give myself "a pat on the back". One of my problems is not always looking to see what I have achieved but constantly looking to the next task (topic and assignment) that is awaiting. This in turn raises the stress levels to unbearable heights. I am quite proud of myself for getting this far in one month and you too need to give yourself a "pat on the back". It has been one very challenging month and there are more ahead.
    Good Luck for the rest of the course.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally,
    Good call! We have learnt so much from this course and although at times this course has seemed a little overwheleming, look at the long list of things we already have to show for it - and we're only half way through!
    Although the ICT course has been very time consuming, I have enjoyed it - learning new technologies has made me feel like some sort of technology wiz! In short, I've been engaged. Funny, isn't that what we have been trying to achieve with our students? :)
    Good luck with your EPL - I bet you will be great!
    - Leesha

    ReplyDelete