Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Investigating Real World Concepts

My past experience with Google Earth has been a simple look at the world through cameras. I actually didn't realise (or maybe more to the point), never considered that you could do more. But, boy was I wrong! I have since learnt that not only can you incorporate the use of world wide views but you can gather lesson plans that investigate real world concepts. Joe Wood shows us that measurement, exploratory, concepts and problem based learning can be achieved through the use of Google Earth. It is very exciting to see the concepts of real world maths can be supported via Google Earth.
Since visiting my EPL school I have learnt that my class uses IMath to support students. This maths program is a "flexible teaching program that comprehensively addresses both aspects of the Essential Learnings - Knowledge and understanding and Ways of working. The engaging iMaths investigations ask students to plan, question, apply their understanding, use technologies and reflect within real-life mathematical contexts. The core principles of iMaths reflect the core principles of the National Curriculum." (iMath, 2010)

It is wonderful to see outside resources are available to support our students in real life concepts.
According to CQU, Problem Based Learning is
* is a both a pedagogical approach and a curriculum design methodology
* simultaneously develops higher order thinking and disciplinary knowledge bases and skills
* places students in the active role of problem solvers (practitioners) and
* confronts students with a real-world situation (ill-structured problem)

I do hope that I have the opportunity to utilise Google Earth while on my EPL next term. Students will enjoy using the technologies and applying them to real life situations. These are skills that students will learn and develop to implement into their lives now and for the future.

Within my future teaching career I believe that access to technology such as Google Earth and Google Maps will bring the students one step closer to the rest of the world. We can sit at our computers and take a world trip, do Maths at the Pyramids of Egypt, create an English lesson about the English writer Shakespeare - visit his hometown and study about his lifestyle, go deep sea diving off the coast of Antarctica and not get wet - we could measure the depths of some of the smaller icebergs to complete our SOSE projects, the list is endless. My students are going to see the world, use the world and enjoy the world from the comfort of their own seats.

Reference:

iMaths resources. Retrieved on 6th April, 2010 from http://www.fireflypress.com.au/primary-school/maths/imaths/

CQU. Problem Based Learning. Retrieved on 6th April, 2010 from http://pbl.cqu.edu.au/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally, Google Earth did not awe inspire like I thought it would (and I haven't used it before now - only Google Maps). I am sure there is a lot of potential, I just don't know what I am doing yet. Although, I think I have since learned that there are a lot of 'plug ins' that make Google Earth a much more interesting. Maybe that is where I am going wrong? Maybe that is where the "wow" factor is? Regards,Natalie

    ReplyDelete