Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Communities of Practice

Its interesting to think back only 100 years (or maybe even less!) that communities meant a small group of people living in close proximity to each other.

Welcome to today!!

We are alive with activity and we can be a 'community of practice'(Wenger, 2006) with people we have not physically met, verbally spoken to or even have alot in common. I think it is wonderful to know that a group of people can come together from various locations (even across the water), regularly speak a different language, have completely different interests and are in essence in a different place in life, and form a community of practice (Wenger, 2006) because they have 3 crucial areas that interlink. They need a shared interest (it may only be one), they engage with each other about this shared interest and they develop experiences and resources that can be shared together. We in the GDLT are a community of practice! Many of us have never met - I know I didn't get a chance to meet everyone at Res. School, may never meet face to face, but we are all interested in becoming Learning Managers and have a desire to support and encourage each one.
The 21st Century is amazing! There is so much technology out there that can isolate people but at the same time can bring people together from all over the world. I am in awe of how life has changed even from when I went to school only 20 years ago.

When students engage with people through technology - be it pen friends via the internet, Skyping, texting on mobile phones or smart phones, interacting in online games or just chatting over msn messenger they are creating their own unique community of practice. Young people today are very comfortable in the field of global communications and I feel privileged to be part of this global interaction. I know that this will be an area that I will be encouraging my students to pursue and develop.

As Learning Managers I feel we have a responsibility to be aware of and have some knowledge of how to utilise the technology that is available today. Young people today have grown up with gizmo and gadgets and I think many would find it difficult if the 'lights went out'.
"Quick... Where is the battery - I was in the middle of playing a game with my friend in England", would be the cries from houses all over the place who had people under the age of 30. I certainly know my son (10 years old) can sometimes find it difficult when I suggest he turn off the computer and go outside to have some fun - he quickly tells me that he is already having fun.

Learning Managers need to bring the excitement back into the classroom and get them engaged on their level. I for one am looking forward to the challenge of keeping some of the old traditions - reading from a book and enjoying library visits can be much more appealing than reading online but I want to embrace the technology the 21st century has for us and the wonders of the world it can show us.

Reference:

Wenger, E. (2006). Communities of Practice a brief introduction. Retrieved March 17, 2010, from http://www.ewenger.com/theory/

No comments:

Post a Comment