Monday, March 15, 2010

Twitter in Schools

I've just read Carolyne's posting about using Twitter in schools and watched the You Tube video about how an American University is trialing the technology in a classroom of over 90 students. If you haven't seen it, you should! It certainly opens up many communication opportunities for 'students at risk' or students unable to make it to class for various reasons. I certainly think it has lots of potential and is worth keeping in mind.
Click here to watch how Twitter is being used at University.


Extension of information (updated on 4th April, 2010): I have completed alittle further research into this activity of using Twitter in Universities. Even though I am training to be a primary school teacher I have found this to be extremely interesting. I'm not sure at this stage that I see a need for it - or even a benefit for it in a Primary school but I could see some interesting applications for it at Senior High School and definitely at University Level. As a Distance Education student who is unable to make it to any lectures due to my personal circumstances I feel I sometimes miss opportunities that internal students receive each week. Last week I had the opportunity to head to Uni for the internal lectures on 3 of my 4 classes. I found these hugely beneficial on many levels - not only did I get the opportunity to spend time talking with fellow students face to face but I had the opportunities to have indepth discussions with my lecturers. This is something you don't get to do as an external student. Being able to hook up to the session and be part of the discussion would be great - I could take 1 hour off work and link in at exactly the correct time without leaving my work place and loosing valuable work time. It might not be quite the same as the face to face debates I have with the lecturer but it has to be the next best thing!
Have a look at this post about Twitter in the Classroom and tell me what you think and how it can impact the learning opportunities of all who use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment