Friday, March 12, 2010

Pedagogy - Love it!

I love this word! I see pedagogy as the science of teaching - the framework to how we teach children. It encompasses the how and why we teach as well as the relationship we have with children to motivate them to learn. I think that without a solid understanding of teaching strategies than our pedagogical framework will be limited and possibly unsuccessful for the students we manage.

I particularly enjoyed reading chapter 1 of "Effective Teaching Strategies"(Roy Killen, 2003, Ligare Book Press). It was well constructed with an easy to digest framework of skills needed to help motivate our students. I hope to be a teacher that uses more of the learner centred approach as apposed to the teacher centred approach. I know the teacher centred approach has its place in our society but I think for most students they will be highly motivated by a much stronger emphasis on learning from investigation - both individually and in a group setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment