Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Using Mahara in Primary Schools

It certainly has been a very mind bending week. As part of week 5's activities we were asked to create an e-portfolio - I chose to use Mahara. After completing this we needed to 'play' with the technology for a while and then make a posting about our thoughts, processes and learning opportunities we see for ourselves and our students. This was to be a reflection on the 'making and use' of our Mahara account.

Little did I realise what a discussion I would create when I made a post on the ICT forum! My posting included a simple (and niave) question

I have spent a number of days sorting through the Mahara thing - and have a question to pose to all.

One of the learning activities is to make a posting to our Professional Blog about the process and learning opportunities for you and your students.

My query is that at this point I see little, if any opportunities where I would use a Mahara account with primary school students. I could see the value in teaching senior high school students - putting resume together etc.

Everything I can think of that I would do with primary school students as part of keeping a profile up, displaying work etc I think I would tend to use in a blog setting.

Can people please put me on track as I think I am missing a huge thought process here. I am finding it very difficult to post to my professional blog about something that I don't see a use for at this point. I'm obviously missing something vital!


Initially I was hoping for a straight forward response that would give me the information I needed to say to myself "Oh yeh, how silly of me, of course that is how we would use it". But that didn't happen. There were dozens of answers coming my way and most said the same thing - that they thought an e-portfolio was an amazing piece of technology and they would jump at the chance to use it with children of all ages and that we should remember how tech savey students are today. I agree whole heartely that students should be given every opportunity to expand their knowledge and to embrace a technology that they can use for the rest of their lives - and be completely transferable and functional for them as adults. I heard it all and don't disagree with any of it - but!!!!
I do wonder how to use it effectively with Primary school students. Maybe I'm not as creative as others or not as good at seeing the whole picture but I do wonder if we are looking at just the class we have for this year - and when the students are young is it too much? How young is too young? I don't know....
One of my concerns is, perhaps alittle selfish, but is it too much work for the teaching staff - you would need to photograph, scan upload etc all their work you wish to include - I don't know about other people but I know that teachers are very stretched for time and having to do this for 25 - 30 students for all their important pieces of work would be extremely time consuming. Please don't get me wrong - I think it is a brilliant idea and would love to see it work successfully I'm just having a hard time seeing it realistically.
I do wonder though, if it is possible, for a school to have an account for every child - as part of the induction process they are given (or the parents) an access code for their child's own account. From Prep to Year 7 (and beyond)the school uses the account - with parents able to view what is available and adds to it what is necessary - this would have all the students details on it and it can easily be modified when necessary. The passwords would be transferred with the child when they leave the school. This would allow the student to leave with a fully functioning record of everything that happened for them within their primary years. This just seems like a mammoth task and I'm not sure that many schools would take on the responsibility to set up such a profile for each student.

I had an in depth and thought provoking discussion with a teacher yesterday about this very subject and it was given to me in a light that I had not yet heard. I like it!!! An e-portfolio is a place to store all our files, plans, resources etc etc. What better way to share these then have a system that is open for all teachers to access others within the same school. Can you imagine having access to other teachers ideas, planning and resources to assist you in providing an outstanding educational opportunity to the students in your class? I think this would be an amazing support network for all teachers to take on. Obviously there would be some people who wouldn't want all their information out for others to see, use or make comment on - but saying that we are a 'community of practice' and have the same goals for the students - we need to support each other, work together and share ideas. These are some of the things that can make a good Learning Manager a great Learning Manager.
As you can see I am by no means opposed to using e-portfolios within a primary school setting. I just think that we need to weigh up time, resources, skills of all who need to use it and the reality of how useful it is (at this particular time) to students under the age of 12. If it is parents and teachers putting all the information together and the student not learning from this then it cannot be classified as a learning outcome for the students. I think this is where we need to think about not only what we teach, but how and why we teach it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sally,

    I really enjoyed reading your comments relating to Mahara. I was considering it for teachers to use as a digital copy of an e.portfolio. My son brought home his report/A5 journal book thingy last Friday and I am worried as to how it will look by the end of th year and years to come??? At first I was thinking of teachers providing a digital copy as well, somewhere like Mahara (providing we can still access it in years to come) but this would be time consuming. Maybe the hardcopy, of my son's learning journey, could be copied/scanned and downloaded from the current A5 book and uploaded into Mahara. This would save the teacher's some time. Would be interested to know what you think as you work closely with teaachers?

    Thanks,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of putting all the information into an e-portfolio is great - and may make things easier. I do wonder how hard it would be to print it all out and then sort through it all to bind together. Would be an interesting task to complete.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally,

    I read your posting with great interest and it cast my mind back to the key questions I ask myself when deciding if I should adopt a technology:
    1. Will it improve the students' learning (efficiency and effectiveness)? and
    2. Will it make my life/workload easier?

    The first question is answered by many researchers and authors see:
    http://www.pontydysgu.org/2010/03/rethinking-e-portfolios/
    and
    http://www.knownet.com/writing/weblogs/Graham_Attwell/entries/0786277508

    eportfolios fit with Mode 2 knowledge and deep demonstrable learning with a clear emphasis on the application of knowledge and presentation of artifacts as evidence of learning and application.
    I get the sense that you to some degree concur with this analysis.

    With regards to point 2, I sense a strong wish for self preservation and I'm with you on this. If e.portfolios are to be used they should be a school wide initiative and used across all areas of primary and secondary education so that the children learn how to use these and can take their work with them wherever they go.
    In the early years where literacy and fine motor skills are not well developed there needs, in my opinion, a partnership with parents/carers, the students and the school to teach students how to use the technology. While the Prep teachers work with hardcopy portfolios is to be admired for their dedication, it is only when the children take control of their own portfolios does this truly become a learning experience for the student. The following report offers suggestions and research on the benefits of e.portfolios in primary and secondary schooling: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&ved=0CBgQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearch.becta.org.uk%2Fupload-dir%2Fdownloads%2Fpage_documents%2Fresearch%2Fimpact_eportfolios_learning.pdf&ei=IaGxS8mkN4aotgPRuo2PAQ&usg=AFQjCNFCrf1sImFigJ-EbfyjNmm9I_t9aQ&sig2=9VMYGJkZnOl8RTkWyRGNMA

    Thanks again for your exploratory posting.

    Best,

    Scot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally,
    Your posting has certainly promoted some good discussion! And good on you for posting your thoughts. You know my thoughts on this topic - that is, I tend to agree with you. I had a quick scan of the report but I need to read it properly to give comment, however, I just wanted to comment on Scot's posting about needing a partnership between schools, parents/carers and students to help teach students how to use this product. I agree with this, in theory, however, I am skeptical that this would work well in reality. Prior to this course, if my daughter's school had sent home information asking me to use something like Mahara to record my daughter's work, my response would have been "what the?...are you kidding me? When am I going to get time to do that? I don't even know how to use a system like that! Of course, being the dedicated parent I try to be, I would have attempted to work it out. However, how many parents don't have time, computers or simply the inclination to do something like this? If it were left to my husband, he wouldn't even bother because he has very limited computer skills. And where does that then leave these children? I do agree that it could be a valuable tool when kids can be independently responsible for it and it has purpose (not just to keep record of work willy nilly), but the time required to get kids to that level......doesn't seem practical for the majority of the primary setting just yet. That's my thoughts. Regards, Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally, I really enjoyed your posting and the rich discussion it has developed. As one not "really technically savvy", I have enjoyed being introduced to e-portfolios and can now understand the wonderful possibilies and capabilities of it for me professionally. Also, certainly as a Secondary school teacher I can see benefits of my learners having an e-portfolio to not only assist them in their studies and as a storage space for their past, but also importantly as a professional portfolio they can take into the dynamic workforce they will be entering. However, there is one question that I continue to ponder: this is all well and good to use at school (as long as there was school wide implemenation and support), but what about students who live in extenuating circumstances were there is either not the motivation or support??? Does this type of technology disadvantage some of our learners or do the benefits to most outway this? I would love to receive comment on whether my concerns are valid or not?
    Thankyou
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete