Saturday, March 27, 2010

How to Teach Math as a Social Activity

I have just finished watching this video from the web site Edutopia. It made me think clearly about how children are really linking in their declarative knowledge with their procedural knowledge during a maths lesson.

It seems left field to think that math could be a social activity - but this school makes it work. I love in particular that although math is the key learning area the students are learning so much more. The social skills of interacting, observing, taking risks, giving feedback, being a good listener and so much more will be skills they will take with them in life.

I only hope that I can one day incorporate such a variety of skills into a lesson that will assist the students to develop in character.

This is a must see video.

How to Teach Math as a Social Activity | Edutopia

No comments:

Post a Comment